
Ian is 17 months old today! However, you would think he's already 2. Yep, the terrible two's are here earlier than I had anticipated. Ian has definitely learned the word NO and how to throw tantrums.
He is a good kid for the most part. However, just recently he has started to have mini melt downs when he doesn't get his way...and hitting whatever he can reach one time with his hand. I'm just glad he's not laying on the ground kicking around...at least yet.
He also has issues at dinner time. Meal times lately have become quite stressful. Jason and I both feel like we have ulcers the size of Montana sometimes. We can't figure it out. Ian just fusses...and no matter what we continue to bring out to occupy/feed him, he's only temporarily satisfied.
I'm struggling with how to discipline. I feel like he's too young to threaten to take something away...and too young for time out.
So, we opt for the popping of either the hand or the leg. Both of which absolutely break his heart. Even if we barely pop him, he acts like we beat the soup out of him.
After the popping, we calm him down and try to explain why he received the spanking. I have even taught him to say "I'm sorry". He seems to respond pretty well and seems to understand for the most part.
I know every child is different and I know that this is just a phase that we have to get through...but if any of you out there have discipline advice that you've noticed children respond to well, please let me know.
We do want Ian to have siblings. ;)
New School Year
4 years ago






1 comments:
Just my opinion, but I'll have you know that Parker had his first time out at 14 months old. Yep, and it worked! He sat in a corner on the floor for one minute. Now, thinking back, I really can't remember what for? But, I do remember him getting up a few times but I just put him back in the corner without talking to him (key from supernanny tips) and started the timer over and by the 3rd time the 1st time out - IT WORKED! So, don't think he's too young to learn, they're a lot smarter than you think at that age. And now... it's a great way of discipline for him now, he knows exactly what is expected of him and doesn't budge at all, just goes to corner and sits his 2 mins. Another supernanny tip - the time to sit = how old they are; ex. 1 year old = 1 minute, etc.
So, just thought I would say, we tried it early to see what would happen and now are SO thankful we did! It works!! Needless to say, Parker is rarely in it and for the most part a well-behaved child, but they all have their moments. Good luck!
Post a Comment